Transformational leaders are unique visionaries. They inspire others, find innovative solutions and build strong teams. While there are various leaders within any organization, few people are transformational leaders.
Dr. Freeman Hrabowski III, President of the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC), is one of the most celebrated transformational leaders within the field of education. During his nearly 30-year tenure in his current role, he transformed UMBC from a low-key commuter college to a thriving university with a global reputation.
Explore this profile of Dr. Freeman Hrabowski to learn more about his leadership, background and achievements.
Full Name: Dr. Freeman Alphonsa Hrabowski III
Birthplace: Birmingham, Alabama
- Hampton Institute (Graduated with high honors in mathematics)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (M.A. in mathematics and a PhD in statistics and mathematics)
- Presented a TED Talk that boasts more than 85,000 views. The title of Dr. Hrabowski’s presentation is “4 Pillars of College Success in Science”.
- President Barack Obama selected Dr. Hrabowski to be the leader of the President’s Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for African Americans.
- Championed achievement in science and engineering for persons of color.
- Instrumental in raising more than $1 billion in funding for UMBC during his tenure.
- In 1988, Dr. Hrabowski partnered with philanthropist Robert Meyerhoff to create the Meyerhoff Scholars Program. Its purpose is to increase the diversity of STEM leaders.
Favorite Quote: Success is never final.
- Overcoming the Odds: Raising Academically Successful African American Young Men
- Holding Fast to Dreams: Empowering Youth from the Civil Rights Crusade to STEM
What Other Leaders Say About Dr. Hrabowski:
- Senator Chris Van Hollen (D – Maryland): “Dr. Hrabowski is an innovative leader who has made UMBC a national model of excellence. His work at UMBC has been transformational and he has increased the diversity of future science leaders.”
- Maryland Governor Lawrence J. Hogan (R): “Dr. Hrabowski has inspired so many with his actions, words and dedication. His commitment to supporting students from under-represented groups has transformed higher education in Maryland and throughout the world.”
- Baltimore County Executive John A. Olszewski Jr: “Dr. Hrabowski is a true visionary and his leadership has been transformative for so many students, for Baltimore County and for the entire state.”
About Corporate Counsel Men of Color
Joining a professional organization such as Corporate Counsel Men of Color can help you connect with like-minded professionals. Ready to learn more about Corporate Counsel Men of Color? Join our organization today.
©Copyright of Corporate Counsel Women of Color®. All Rights Reserved. To License the Use of this Article, contact firstname.lastname@example.org